Penn State Women’s Basketball Announces Date for Play 4 Kay Game
Play 4 Kay benefiting Pink Zone will close out the 2016-17 schedule on Feb. 26 vs. Michigan
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.; September 20, 2016 – The women’s basketball community is unified in the awareness of, education about and fight against breast cancer, and Penn State women’s basketball will continue its tradition of donning the pink uniforms for the annual Play 4 Kay game benefiting Pink Zone on Sunday, Feb. 26 vs. Michigan at the Bryce Jordan Center.
The tip time and any television details for the game will be announced at a later date.
Starting a Trend
· Penn State was the first team in the NCAA to don pink uniforms – debuting their pink threads on Feb. 4, 2007 against Wisconsin at the Bryce Jordan Center.
· The Lady Lion program has been honored as the Play 4 Kay Division I initiative winner twice in program history, winning the award in back-to-back seasons (2013, 2014).
· The event began in 2007 with $20,490 raised and 31 cancer survivors in attendance and has grown into an event that annually raises $200,000 and welcomes more than 600 cancer survivors.
· Penn State will meet Michigan for the third time in the game, tying them for the most frequent opponent with Wisconsin. Penn State has also played Iowa (twice), Illinois (once), Minnesota (once) and Northwestern (once).
Fun and Funds
· In the first 10 Pink Zone games, Penn State has raised $1.6 million in funds to support various beneficiaries.
· In 2016, Penn State raised $220,000 and 640 cancer survivors joined the Lady Lions in the BJC.
· The 640 cancer survivors in attendance at the 2015-16 contest vs. Michigan combined for 4,203 years of survivorship.
· The 2014 event raised a record $310,000 dollars to support the cause.
· The 2015-16 beneficiaries included; Mount Nittany Medical Center, Penn State Cancer Institute, Kay Yow Cancer Fund, PA Breast Center Coalition, JC Blair Memorial Hospital and Geisinger-Lewistown Hospital.
Pennsylvania Pink Zone Partnership
· The Pennsylvania Pink Zone and Lady Lion Basketball are a unified force in the fight against breast cancer on the court, across campus, and within communities.
· The Pennsylvania Pink Zone promotes cancer awareness and empowers survivors through year-long efforts to raise funds critical in supporting vital breast cancer organizations, charities, and facilities that focus on breast cancer education, research, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment.
· More information about the organization can be found on Pink Zone’s redesigned website: http://www.papinkzone.org
· The majority of monies raised are distributed among regional and state beneficiaries, impacting people in both the Centre region and across Pennsylvania.
Catch Every Game
Season tickets for the 2016-17 season are on sale now and feature three price points; courtside, sideline and baseline. Available season tickets range in price from $95 (baseline) to $120 (sideline) and $260 (courtside). The Recent Graduate program returns for a second season and features two options; a $65 baseline package and the $84 sideline package.
Follow Penn State women’s basketball on Facebook by clicking here or on Twitter by clicking here. Stay up to date with all of our 31 varsity programs on your favorite social media platforms by clicking here. You can also stay up to date with the women’s basketball program on LadyLions.com.